Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Warnings from History

Today I saw a documentary about some of the factors that will effect the future as we know it.  If you have time, I highly suggest watching this.  It is 90 minutes, but it's something that we should open our minds to.  This documentary presents the problems we are facing or soon to be facing.  Acknowledging the problems are the first steps into finding new ways to survive.



I know it sounds strange, but I am always fascinated by dooms day subjects.  No one will ever know when the end will be.  The struggles that come with a catastrophic events and exactly what to to do in such events are things we need to be mindful of before we are face these issues. I do believe that we as a country need to change our ways.  In fact, we are so far absorbed in everything that we could not imagine a life without electricity let alone running water. 

The irony is that I would not be able to write this without fossil fuels.  We have become so dependent on technology and electricity that we have forgotten through generations how to survive without it.  Do children understand that food doesn't come from the supermarket?  Forbid the teenager be kept from texting in the classroom.  Forget turning that ignition, instead harness up your large breed dog to a chariot made from scavenged bike parts.  Hope you paid attention to your biology class and gather the rain water to irrigate your carrot and spinach patch.  This makes me feel that the skills in my degree will have an advantage in the dark ages of the future. *cynical grin*

While watching this History documentary I couldn't help but think about a game my husband plays from time to time.  It is a game that takes place in the future (around 200 years into the future) after a time that has been in nuclear warfare.  The landscape has been turned to a depressing grey dust.  Plant life has struggled to exist for years because of the nuclear dust blocking the sun in the sky.  The only living people emerged from the fallout shelters secured deeply underground.  They emerge only to find a nuclear wasteland with mutated creatures disgracing the land.  The creators of the game really do bring life to his situation.

The remains of a town in the game Fallout 3


The whole mission of the game is to survive.  This means picking up things that lay around and salvage something from it.  A lot of the things can be traded, or compiled and used to build something useful.  Food mostly is scavenged as canned food from when the nulclear attacks began...yummy.  Again there are mutant creatures out to eat you, but that's besides the point I'm trying to make.  This could very well be us if some, all, or one of those hypothesi from them men in "Prophets of Doom" happens.  Hope you are handy with fixing and creating things. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment