A lot of dust has been kicked up and rising around Denver. This observation has been noted on the national media level also. I turn on the news, I see a man three years younger than myself be praised and scrutinized all in the same breath with each move he makes.
My closest friends will tell you that I am a tough fan to win over regarding an athlete. I can't quite jump on board the bandwagon when the maturity level of very talented athletes is constantly out to 1st grade recess. It's been hard to put my finger on pro athletes in Denver other than Todd Helton, first baseman of the Rockies, and Champ Bailey, defensive back for the Broncos, that are role model worthy athletes. These two men are all around nice people who have played their part to support the community. I'm a fan.
On the other hand, I've seen egos as high as 15 foot tall lifted pickup trucks that have never touched a dirt road, and tempers that make driving Denver highway road rage pale in comparison. The athlete hidden under all that noise is not role model in my eyes. Luckily these pro athlete toddlers have been traded away from Denver. Never was and never will be a fan.
Regardless of it all. Tim Tebow has qualities that aren't found common in the NFL. He is a hard worker, a great leader, a competitor, with down to earth mentality, and a humble athlete. All the ingredients for a great role model athlete.
A lot of you know that being a football fan is one of my pass times. Even if you aren't active watching the NFL or recent college football seasons, I'm sure you have stumbled across some comments about Tim Tebow. Here is short bio I wrote about him after reading about him on Wikipedia:
Tim, born in the Philippines in 1987, is the youngest of five home schooled children. He played for his local high school football team after legislation allowed home schooled athletes to play on public teams.
During high school, he turned heads with his unorthodox quarterback strategy style of which Urban Meyer of the University of Florida began recruiting him for. Before he enrolled at Florida, Tebow spent three summers in the Philippines assisting with his father's orphanage along with missionary work.
During his college years at the University of Florida, he won the Heisman Trophy in 2007 and broke a number of Bowl Championship Series records. He broke an all time record during his last game with the Gators, a total of 533 yards total offense with 4 touchdown versus the University of Cincinnati.
Everything about him has been subject to scrutiny in the media's light. Everything from his quarterback passing style, to being a run and pass dual threat, being a doubted success in the NFL, and finally about his religious beliefs.
About his beginnings in high school
I have watched him play college football and was very aware of his talent along with the rest of the nation. I was glad to hear he was drafted to the Denver Broncos in 2010. Shortly after he started practicing with the Broncos, he granted the wish of a 16 year old boy fighting a serious illness:
And with all this said and done, my friends, this is why Timmy's my bro:
...er Gataurbronc thing... yeah. go broncos.




No comments:
Post a Comment