Sunday, November 27, 2011

Disconnect

Morning light spills through the opaque curtains 
as the birds speak of the new day

Rustling, turning over, fumbling adjustment with pillow
stretch, yawn deep, rub an eye

Reaching for the end table
grabbing toward, end slumber signal

Cold, colorful, circuitry imbued in plastic and silicone
modern day butler

tell news of worlds without blinking
tell tell tell now now now

fantasy social sports family friend show
never tell a secret keep

nonessential relevancy
personal importance digital HD
human interaction communication personal obsolete 

 don't want to know no further concern tired frustration

<CONNECTION LOST>



Now that I've gotten that out of my system, onto the paradox of what I am writing about: Connectivity and it's degrees of relevancy.  I know that I must be on my Internet connection to post this, and I guess if we want to split hairs, I could say that this is my journal broad casted on the world wide web.  So if you are reading this, perhaps there are some points that I make that you may identify with when it comes to connectivity.

The Internet is a great idea.  I don't need to even explain my points and reasons here.  The only thing is that I do believe that having too much of a thing (good or bad) can be considered (more times than not) bad.  I, a case for an example, have had a smart phone for about a year now.  

I used to carry around a going on 6 year old brick phone (no need to question why I never upgraded) with a cracked screen which functioned miraculously till the end.  I made phone calls.  That's it. NO texting.  Just pure human vocal interaction which I took pride in. As if I was already from some undiscovered land in the year 2010 with a phone circa 2005 in my satchel with my wide brimmed hat.  Yes, I clearly was behind the times.


So December 2010 came around and my husband and I decided to get smart phones with my employee discount.  I would've been happy with just the basic flip phone, but being that I had a pretty good discount, and a techie for a husband, I was just along for the ride.  We left with the latest Android operating system phone.  I was bemused that I could actually manage my fantasy football team, check scores, and facebook on my phone let alone text through google.  I was with it now.


So there I was, everything at my finger tips with unlimited Internet in my phone.  Like with anything new and electronic, it's fascinating.  On break at work, I was on my phone to get away from retail work drama through facebook.  People must've thought I didn't have a job because I was always posting.  What was once a innocent act to keep in touch with my family and only closest friends turned into a day at work dwelling on others status updates. Don't get me wrong, I think facebook is a great way to keep in touch with people you care about, but to what degree of relevancy.

This brings me to what cued my poetic outburst and what is fueling the fire behind it:  Most times it's better to leave some things unsaid.  I know I have been guilty of updating about almost everything that happens during a day almost as to leave nothing unsaid.  This sabotages your "friends" when you actually have something important to say.  They simply don't see it or want to see what you have to say now.  So, it's sad to say that people have so much irrelevant unimportant things to distract them and in turn undermines true social interaction.

I miss the times when true friends said "Happy Birthday" in person or with a signed card in the mailbox waiting on the corner of the street. The true friend remembed to write it on the wall calendar that year.  However, who needs to remember anything important when the phone or Internet is more than capable of telling you?  Constant reminders of the inorganic sort tarnishes the sincerity and importance of everything people actually remember.  Also the fact that some people elect to share their birth date publicly on social media where birthday reminders are programmed clockwork to make the occasion almost an obligation to write something. With all this new a great technologies regardless of what they do, I can feel the synapses in my brain losing the much needed electrochemical stimulus of good old fashioned higher cognitive processing.

 After all, if you don't use it, you lose it

So my friends, if you see a lack of "social media Lauren", this is part of the reason why.  I know a lot of you reading, (if anyone read this), think in the back of their minds "I'd like to see her try!"  I have done away with one social media (MySpace) before completely.  (who hasn't right?!?) I've been feeling the same way about Facebook now.  Maybe I should just delete it off my phone. One less distraction from living the real life.  After all, technology is what you make of it.  I'm sick of technology making my "friends" and I unobservant and hindering natural organic free range social interaction. 

My spidey friend will help me
stay clear of increased social media partakages

If anyone is curious as to what my latest escapades and random musings in life are.  You have the correct connection currently. 


No comments:

Post a Comment