Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Feather Rufflage

Osprey

 The Free Dictionary defines: ruffle (somebody's) feathers:
to make someone annoyed or upset
Usage notes: sometimes used in the form smooth ruffled feathers (to make someone feel less annoyed or upset)
Etymology: based on the idea of a bird whose feathers are not smooth because of fear or excitement


One week before Thanksgiving, I went to the local grocery market. I picked up two packages of plump bright red fresh cranberries in order to create a decadent cranberry sauce, a secret family recipie that my Grandma created .  (She also fine tuned a red hot candied apples recipe, but that one will just have to wait for Christmas).  These are just some of the ingredients of which contribute a heartwarming and blessed time with family.

 It's also the opportunity to help insulate for the rest of winter.

This brings me to the other definition of "ruffleing feathers".  On very cold days you look outside your window and see this:


A little bird trying his hardest to stay warm.  The onlooker may think he looks really cute all puffed up in the shape of a "birdie ball".  I know I think so each time I see one on a cold day.  It's their way of prepareing for a cold day, or in the big picture, a cold winter.  Both examples can be taken figuratively or litterally, chickadee.

 I am in the middle of ruffleing in preparation for winter, both figuratively and litterally.  I'm aiming to make the winter not hurt so much on my resume (as well as our finaces) while reducing my visual plumiage.  I am making a pleage to myself to do what I can to stay active in the community, to stay warm, friendly, and feel alive.  This hapless bird will fly around Northern Colorado to volunteer in the community. The dog will be walked by a puffy bird on a mission to de-fluff.
Alright friends, I've lost my focus on this tangent.

 Back to the grocery market.  I picked up my two packages of cranberries, made my way to the registers, and patiently waited my turn. 

The lady infront of me was greeted by the cashier, "How are you doing today?" as the cashier started scanning her order.

The lady replied semi-dramatically, "I had a really long stressful day..."  

Usually I keep to myself when standing in line, but I was standing so close to them I couldn't resist speaking my mind. "I wish I could say the same,... I'm unemployed." I said as a matter of factly in a somewhat dreary tone.

The lady in mid stride of her complaint spree took one look at me, then fixed her attention on the cashier and continued, "I had to wake up at 4 am and then... " (she lost me, clearly I wasn't a worthy part of her onesided conversation). 

Some people bring out my inner Grackle

During these times, you do what you can.  I know I have had my days worthy of a feather ruffle when I used to work in customer service, having a rotateing retail schedule, hardly having holidays with family, but it's better to have that type of work than nothing.  I also learned working for two years in customer service that I genuinly do like helping and educating people when they allow me the opportunity. 

 Everyone wishes to have a dream career calling, but the American way is a full time job complaining about everything from the weather to the economy to the unemployment rate and not stepping up to make a change.  I've applied for jobs since September, gotten 9 rejection emails thus far, so I have something to complain about, but I will try my hardest to refrain from it. 

People need to deny the greed of that missing pay check and open their eyes to volunteer work in these times.  Volunteering opens access to companies that are pushing the "deny" button at the multitudes applying.  It's a way to advertise your work ethic without that shiney copper penny muddying up the pool of clear reflection.



No comments:

Post a Comment