I have discovered that it takes a special type of person to be willing to help someone in need that feels or is completely helpless. I was that helpless person. I was diagnosed with a brain tumor in my cerebellum when I was 20. I was diagnosed, then 36 hours later, I was prepped for surgery. I woke up after 8 hours of grueling work for a 30 year old surgeon and a senior surgeon. I woke up examining the eggshell colored ceiling feeling like a chameleon when I looked around the Intensive Care Unit. I could see the ceiling panel grid at two different angles with two completely separate images for each eye. This was the result of injury to the cranial nerves that control eye movement.
I had an nagging itch on my nose. Since it was on the left side of my face, I motioned to relieve that itch with my left hand. I ended up lifting my left arm which felt a featherweight and proceeded to punch myself in my left eye. I had to laugh. This was only the beginnings of rehabilitation. I had a portion of my right cerebellum removed along with my egg sized tumor.
You really lose your sense of independence, pride, and dignity when you are bed-ridden. This trial has taught me what true empathy is. I have had this longing to help and support those in need ever since my own medical experience. It's time I quit ignoring my instincts and give back in a way that others have given to me.
My struggle with finding my purpose
Love this! Glad you are finding inspiration for the way forward. I know good things are headed your way!
ReplyDeleteThank you Natalie! Life is about finding your way. Having great friends like you inspire and encourage me to stand up and keep looking for the path to my purpose
ReplyDeleteYou have a giving nature, that is for sure (and is to be commended!). I can't imagine what it was like for you--I was only bed-ridden for a few days and unable to care for myself for two weeks and it was an experience I will never, ever forget. I think only people who have been helpless can truly understand. It's definitely not where I want to be again, as long as I can keep from it. You'll succeed because you know and because you have a good heart to begin with. Love ya!!
ReplyDeleteThanks sis! I do appreciate your compliment! Life gives us character, so they say...
ReplyDelete