Saturday, May 23, 2015

A Decade Ago...



A Decade ago, I woke up in a hospital bed
  I had just gone through life saving brain surgery
    The tumor was gone
      No more excruciating pressure in my head
        No more debilitating headaches
         No more lights flashing before my eyes

A Decade ago I was just beginning my recovery
  Four months of rehabilitation,
    A full season focused on reconnecting nerve communication
      Half of my body unable to move

A Decade of listening to an MRI techno soundtrack countless times
                                                                                                                       ... for 40 min

A Decade later only with one more MRI left
  along with saying goodbye to 20 plus contrast fluid injections
   one last time visiting my neuro-oncologist who is like a father to me


A Decade ago I ,being only 20, was the first brain tumor patient of a 30 year old neurosurgeon
   A Decade later, I am the age of my neurosurgeon

A Decade ago, the man I would eventually marry
 stayed faithfully by my side
  through all of the trials and pain
    I had the most faithful friend for life

     A Decade later we welcomed our first child into the world
       I couldn't imagine my life any different
          my husband's kind heart and faithfulness and support for life

If I had not received surgery A Decade ago
  I wouldn't be a mother or a wife

I thank God for furnishing me
  with surgeons, doctors, nurses, patient care techs, and therapists
    to help heal me, help me become the person that I am

Thank you to all my family and friends for being my strongest support
I am eternally grateful for all the strong loving people in my life
~LMc

10 year surgery anniversary
flowers from my husband

Foe more about my story see: From eyes with Pride to eyes with Empathy, Refuge amidst Darkness, and Healing with Empathy

No comments:

Post a Comment