It has been a year of joy, accomplishment, appreciation, pain, tears, and challenge since I began working as a Certified Nursing Assistant in a Long Term Dementia Care Unit. Here is my monologue which illustrates the most challenging and character building year in my life.
![]() |
| Google image |
My first blog post announcing my new move to a CNA position in long term care has made me realize that I still seek a staircase (or ladder) amidst the confines of the basement walls of healthcare. These are dark times in the healthcare world and it's no different than standing in the dark feeling as if the walls are going to close in. Such uncertainty. One thing for sure, I am a part of a great team of co-workers that really care about the people we serve. A very big plus in a time of such dramatic schemes around us (a lot of which I will spare you from hearing, trust that there is a lot going on)
![]() |
| found in "CNA to CNA" Facebook group |
After reviewing a few more blog posts, I have noticed that I have changed too. For instance in "self-awareness-on-the-clock," I met my job in full stride with knowledge of the routine and multitasking with priority problem solving skills.
I have witnessed a person dieing and many others rapidly declining in acuity until the very end.
I previously mentioned that "I've always been about quality, not quantity. Chalk it up to my attention to detail for that." It's been a taxing endeavor when I'm up against efficiency. I have demonstrated giving quality service is both personal, yet efficient. It is something of my own perception of my own work ethic. Something that is sadly of little value anymore. I rely on the "it's about doing the right thing (for others)" when I am facing a unappreciated moment.
![]() |
| ... or a moment of truth "Certified Nursing Assistants" Facebook page |
I have learned to be assertive. This job has catapulted many opportunities for me to stand up and fight for what is right. The best part is that my co-workers notice and appreciate me putting a voice to things that need attention around the department. They have acknowledged "voicing for all" to my direct supervisor while in my presence. It makes me feel like my opinion and work really does matter. That echoing positive moment will carry me a lifetime in my working world.
![]() |
| secretsofpeopleweknow.blogspot.com |
I have learned how to use my self defeating sense of humor to bring smiles to residents I serve. I also use my Mother's wit to find the humor in mundane everyday things. After all, if I can manage to get one person who typically doesn't smile to crack a little grin or even laugh, I can feel accomplished in my day.
![]() |
| "Lessons Learned in Life" Facebook page |
I believe I am getting closer to my purpose in life. I am still holding on with all my strength during this wild ride through the rapids of serving others in healthcare. I have learned to cope with chaos and wrote about it more in depth in "Embracing Chaos."
Even with chaos (things you wouldn't be able to imagine + tables, dishes, and fists being thrown at you)...
![]() |
| ... or what I just went through moments by "CNA" Facebook group |
...doing the right thing and being kind helps me get through the day knowing that I made a difference for someone's well being.
![]() |
| CNA facebook group |
~LMc
![]() |
| CNA Facebook page |








No comments:
Post a Comment