Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Willingly Letting Go


I had a strange week.  I know its hard to understand when I try to explain the things I go through in my line of work.  I have witnessed a new transition in life yet again.  This time it's watching a person willingly let go of life.

www.anonymousartofrevolution.com


I had a feeling of them deciding to let go as I helped decode a normally self reliant resident through broken communication. The mind affected with dementia is very unpredictable because a independent person that keeps to themselves normally can suddenly become belligerent, rejecting care, and closed.  That's where patience is the key to unlocking understanding through communication.  Something for my resident was very perplexing and urgent.  The attempt at communicating with me made no sense.  I took a deep breath, kneeled at eye level, and held a hand to make a meaningful connection with my resident.  After asking a series of closed ended 'yes' or 'no' questions, I started to paint a picture in my mind about the cycle and meaning behind this individual's thinking.

After a number of minutes I was able to understand to root of the problem.  I knew this resident has always been 'set in their ways' and maintained a strict schedule and way of doing things.  My nurse thought I was a miracle worker as I assisted this resident out to the dining table.  It felt good to be able to decode the deep need this resident wanted to convey but could not find the means to explain.

The next day things started to take course, my resident didn't want to at or drink.  Each of my questions offering care was immediately shot down with the response "I want to be alone when I go."  I knew it would be a matter of days.  I'm going to miss strong willed, dry witted, self reliant person.  Again, that's the way my resident wanted to go.  This time I was personally told about being ready to leave this life.
~LMc

No comments:

Post a Comment