![]() |
| If you didn't cut back your perennial garden in the fall, It probably looks a little something like this... |
Before I do a full fledged spring yard cleanup, I would like to demonstrate some landscape perennial plants that can be left alone in the fall and stay looking neat throughout the winter.
![]() |
| (Left to Right) Coneflower, Baby'sbreathn Garlic chives, Flowering Sedum, Silver Mound Artemesia (above Sedum), Puppybane (top) |
![]() |
| Now Russell poses to imply that I need to reconsider his horticultural based common name. Ok, Puppybalm, only when you're calm |
I left these semi-woody perennial shrubs alone to explain where to cut these back.
![]() |
| As intimidating as these look (or will look in the future 4'w x 4'h plus), they all can be cut back to the ground (rejuvenation cut). Hardy Chrysanthemum "Mum"(foreground), Russian Sage (middle left), and Butterfly Bush (background) |
I couldn't help but take a picture of this surprising discovery in one of the raised flower beds:
![]() |
| It's a snapdragon plant that actually overwintered! I've only known them as plants that die in the winter and only could potentially reseed themselves. Those are leaves coming off a massive stalk!!! |
Every garden needs these plants. I don't care who you are or where you live.
![]() |
| Different types of Sedum. Any sedum works well for dry conditions, sandy soil especially. *AND* a lot of them stay "succulent cactus- like" through the winter. |
The End...
![]() |
| ...of a statue doggie |







No comments:
Post a Comment