Monday, July 8, 2013

Lighting Bolt wake up call

This morning, a passage in my devotion struck me like a bolt of lightning:



A honeylocust tree shattered
 by lightning July 5th in the CSU test gardens
For none of us lives to himself, and none of us dies to himself. For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. (Romans 14: 7-8)
Lately I have been in deep thought about my purpose.  This is a branch of some of the things I have been thinking lately.  I will only say that with my past experiences of faith building trials, I have encountered many things to be scared of.  I knew things in life wouldn't be easy.  I have been bold enough to internalize that I don't even fear death because I know God's grace has saved me from eternal damnation, and thus I shouldn't worry about a thing in life.  Everything happens for a reason, so I am at peace with whatever the big man in the clouds has planned.  That means Anything.  

Or so I think.  There is still a little bug in my ear that whispers "If you died today, what would everyone you left behind do?"  That bug is only there to strike fear, mistrust, and sorrow for those abandoned into my heart.  I then stumbled upon this:
There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love. (1 John 4:18)

So why am I fretting?  God is love.  "And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose." (Romans 8:28)  Those who love God are watched over by Him and all his angels.  Besides this whole idea "the bug" stuck in my mind is one strand of mistrust of God's authority over everything.


Therefore I should not fear, swat the bug, and return to steadfast trust in God.  These verses brought me comfort:
Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him. (James 1:12)
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16)


No comments:

Post a Comment